Tuesday, April 10, 2012

My wardrobe staples

So like I mentioned in my last post, I've been thinking a lot lately about the items I have in my wardrobe that are absolute wear-all-the-time-could-not-live-without things for me.  I buy some things at a high frequency, like bargain shoes and cute cheap dresses, but other things in my wardrobe are things I've had for years and still wear all. the. time. Here's the run-down of my fashion staples that have lasted through the years:

Clothing:
  • Levi's dark skinnies - mine are on the point of extinction from being worn so much but I just can't find any that are anywhere near close enough to be considered a replacement. I wear mine dressy with pumps, turned up with TOMS or sandals for a more casual look, and even at work occasionally.
  • The LBD - duh - I think we all know this is a staple, but I do it a little differently in that I have about 10 of these, one for every possible occasion and season. It's really about time that I got rid of a few, but I just always think of where I might need to wear them!
  • Pencil skirts - these are my go-to look for work when I am dressing in business attire.  At my current job I don't have to look as dressy all the time, but I still insist on keeping at least one brown and one blackish one because I know they work with all the flowy tops and even more tailored t-shirts that I absolutely buy the heck out of.
  • Black blazer - I personally got mine for free from my mom's 80's relics that she stored in my closet back home, and since it has shiny lapels and shoulder pads, it instantly dresses up dark jeans and a t-shirt or tank top.
  • WHITE SHIRTS - I can't even begin to tell you how many I have and in how many different shades and styles - v-neck t's, plain t's, long-sleeve, frilly, tuxedo, etc...basically I can't get enough.  They work with anything and I wear them until they could only go in the trash.
  • Light sweaters from JCrew and Gap - these are the absolute best layering sweaters out there - great for plane rides or over a more dressy top at work.  I also have a variety of styles and colors here - mostly neutral shades but some v-neck, some boat-neck, some cardigan...you see where I'm going here.
Accessories:
  • Boots! - Living in Missouri again after so many years in Miami I am so happy to have boots return as a part of my wardrobe.  I'm a believer that you need to have at least 2 pairs of comfortable-enough-to-wear-all-the-time boots, preferably one brown(ish) pair and one black(ish) pair so you always have boots for any outfit.  Of course I also buy pairs that are more trendy or less practical from time to time but I find that riding/wedge boots are the best for versatility.
  • Versatile black flats - while the exact pair has changed over the years, I have worn through pair after pair because they are perfect for work, with tights, etc.
  • A wide brown belt - mine is from Urban and I honestly wear it all the time.  Any dress that comes with a belt attached I automatically replace with mine, and I think it gives it a refreshed style.  I know it's not a fashion idea I came up with, but it still makes me feel just a little bit more unique.
  • Classic chuck taylor's - I started wearing mine when I was in Australia studying abroad and still love them for those casual jeans and t-shirt days, and they are great for when you'll be on your feet for awhile too because they provide a decent amount of cushion.
  • A motorcycle jacket - mine is a dark charcoal denim one that I got a few years back from Forever 21 (of all places) and has miraculously held up to being worn over and over.  Any time I need to add a little funk to an outfit, be it over a dress, with jeans and a t-shirt, whatever, this is my go-to jacket.
  • Brown/black combo sandals - I have ruined many a pair of sandals that are brown on bottom with black straps, because they go with EVERYTHING in the summer so obv I wear them all the time.
  • Colored pea coat - in the winter time you really need to bring a little color with you wherever you go, and what better way to do so than with a bright coat? Mine is an oldie from Gap and no matter how many seasons I wear it I still get compliments!
  • Diamond stud earrings (and other simple jewelry) - I'm a true believer in staying classic with jewelry from day-to-day but using it to add some extra punch every once in awhile.  I wear the same pair of diamond studs every single day because they are small enough to not be considered "blingy" but pretty enough that they make me feel classically girly. And since they are a hand-me-down from my mom that she had re-set in silver for me when I was like 13 they have sentimental value too!
So that's my Essentials list.  I honestly can't do without any of these items but of course I also beef up my wardrobe with colorful tops, dresses, crazy necklaces, etc.  I think it's time for a wardrobe clear-out so I can get rid of all those things I don't wear and make room for more items that will last with me through the years!  Is anyone else in a Spring Cleaning mode?

No comments:

Post a Comment